Well-informed, culturally competent, and empathetic individuals are the pillars to strengthening the foundations of our communities. Leading with inclusion means working effectively with people of different backgrounds, experiences, opinions and perceptions. In this interactive workshop, participants will be able to develop an awareness of the different dimensions of diversity and learn how to apply those in their day-to-day lives.
Dimensions of Diversity will help participants:
- Define and explain the benefits of diversity and inclusion.
- Recognize one’s own dimensions of diversity and what influences those dimensions.
- Influence others by demonstrating diverse and inclusive behaviors to increase impact and engagement.
- Recognize other dimensions of diversity and explore how they influence your perception of the world and how the world sees you.
- Appreciate and have empathy for others dimensions of diversity and how this informs relationship building.
- Recognize opportunities for inclusive practices among all areas of opportunity in your community.
Tuesday, September 28, and Thursday, September 30, 2021
10:00 – 11:30 a.m.
There is no charge to attend
Meet the Presenters:
Sherry Bernard currently serves as the Vice President of Social Responsibility & Youth Leadership for the YMCA of Greater Houston. A champion for social equity, her personal mission is to eliminate barriers and create opportunities for youth from all backgrounds to achieve, thrive and serve as leaders in their communities. In addition to being a Certified Nonprofit Professional, Sherry holds a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology and Master’s Degree in Public Administration through the University of Houston.
Halina Martinez serves as the founding director for the YMCA of Greater Houston’s Equity Innovation Center. Driven by a passion for connecting people to resources and bridging gaps in access to historically excluded communities, they practice advancing equity and undoing institutional racism everyday by nurturing relationships and prioritizing holistic community collaboration.